Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:32:27 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Stefan Metzmacher via
samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Jawath,
>
> I'm not sure we can shrink the overall size, but we can shrink the
> number of shared libraries.
>
> See look for "nonshared-configure" in
> https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=script/autobuild.py
> The important one is --nonshared-binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd
>
> "none-configure" may also have useful options, e.g.
> --with-static-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> --with-shared-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> which avoids as much modules as possible.
>
> --without-ad-dc may also reduce the size.
>
> Maybe something of this helps a bit...

Why is it an issue? A library is only going to count against your RSS
if that code gets used and starts allocating object, surely. VSS is
almost free, it's RSS you need to worry about. I would think it costs
you almost nothing for those libraries that are not used because your
config doesn't require them.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe