[WIP] TDB traverse lock changes for massive AD DC perf improvement

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 3 16:18:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 04:48:56PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 15:05 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 09:05:48AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett via samba-
> > technical wrote:
> > > +		} else {
> > > +			TDB_LOG((tdb, TDB_DEBUG_ERROR,
> > > "tdb_transaction_start: failed to get transaction lock\n"));
> >
> > I know this is nothing to do with the patch, but I've finally
> > blown a gasket on this...
>
> I'm sorry you feel this way.
>
> In terms of my code formatting, I work strongly for clarity and
> consistency.  If look at this file, you will see all the debug messages
> are formatted that way.
>
> Naturally I've adapted that line (only) in the updated patches I sent
> metze today.
>
> I totally agree that having a globally consistent style in Samba would
> be a good thing, and we actually do pretty well, which is why I find
> outbursts like this quite as frustrating as you find what you feel is
> deliberate non-conformance.
>
> It isn't that I'm out to 'break the rules', it is actually that I just
> code primarily to match what is already present, secondly to whatever
> is the clearest expression for the task.  Coding to our standard style
> comes naturally when the rest of the file already conforms, and the
> problem space permits, but when it doesn't, or was written by others
> who didn't take them as strictly as you do, we end up in a pickle like
> this.
>
> In short, all things in moderation, even 80 column limits. :-)

That's where we disagree. I don't want to keep existing
style in existing files when updates are done. One of the
good reasons for changing to >80 columns is it become a
visual signature in a file if there are 80+ column lines,
and <80+ column lines is that the code here has been
updated. No it isn't good enough to track what was done
(git blame rules :-) but it's enough to raise awareness.

I know you think this is a silly rule, but details
*matter*, and enough of the rest of the Team members
adhere to it that when someone doesn't it really stands
out. We can always vote on it being a silly rule and
agree to drop it if that is the majority opinion.

But right now we should *always* code to our standard
style in new code. That way, eventually the whole project
will get upgraded piece by piece :-).