Fix smartcard offline logon and NTLM authentication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 27 03:02:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-20 at 22:55 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here're some patches to fix smartcard offline logons
> and related bugs.
>
> The key part is adding PAC_CREDENTIAL with the NTHASH.
>
> In order to avoid an NTHASH based on a password,
> I also implemented the UF_SMARTCARD_REQUIRED feature,
> that generates a random NTHASH value, that is only
> known to the KDC and the private key of the smartcard.
>
> I may need to add some more BUG: markers, but you can start
> with the review now:-)
>
> See
> https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/
> master4-smart-ok
> it's based on
> https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/
> master4-smart-base

G'Day metze,

I can't see any tests for the critical components of this task, that is
the changed PAC.  Can you add a test that confirms the returned PAC has
the correct password, nor that these elements are present?

I'll keep looking over the rest of the changes.  I know you mention
adding more BUG: markers, which is OK, but please don't backport these.
 Samba 4.5 is coming soon enough, and I would really prefer not to see
big backports made for pwdLastSet nor smart card login features.

Finally, please ensure that you fix the code to pass the repl_move
test.  This is sensitive to the exact repl_meta_data behaviour, in
particular the number of password attributes with metadata, but it
seems we still don't match Windows even with your changes.

Thanks!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba