Need some hints on the Samba self-test stuff ...

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Apr 25 06:17:31 UTC 2016

On Sunday, 24 April 2016 14:36:40 CEST Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday, 23 April 2016 07:56:20 CEST Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Primarily, I want to write tests for the net ads dns etc stuff ...
> >>
> >> 1. How do I ensure that, say, Samba is running as an AD DC with DNS
> >> support prior to the test running
> >>
> >> 2. How do I ensure that the client env is correct so that the subunit
> >> tests I write will run?
> >
> > Start with:
> >
> > https://sambaxp.org/archive_data/SambaXP2015-SLIDES/thu/track3/sambaxp2015
> > -thu-track3-Andreas_Schneider-HowToUseTheSambaSelftestSuite.pd
> >
> > Your selftest target will be "ad_member:local".
>
> Is that correct? It seems to create a member server which I do not care
> about.

The 'net ads' commands are normally executed by a member of the domain.

> > You can create 'testprogs/blackbox/test_net_ads_dns.sh' and look at
> > 'testprogs/blackbox/test_net_ads.sh' what how to write a test.
> >

> > To plan the test, edit: source4/selftest/tests.py
> >

> > To have an interactive testenv:
> > make testenv SELFTEST_TESTENV="ad_member:local"
>
> This brings up a window that I do not know what to do with.
>
> Should that be local, client, or what?

Well as :local already says. You're on the member machine. You can start
typing 'net ads' commands. Credentials are printed when the term opens ...

> Hmmm, OK, I guess I don't understand how to do the interactive testing
> stuff.
>
> I changed it to ad_dc_ntvfs:local ... and then ran into some problems
> with my script by they were due to expecting too many parameters ...

Why do you want to run 'net ads' command directly on the DC?

Did you look at my slides?

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: CC014E3D
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org