Has anyone experimented with Samba and OverlayFS?

Thu Apr 7 17:59:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 10:27:42AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Has anyone tried to use OverlayFS?
>
> Good or bad experiences?

If I remember correctly there has been some report on some
list that OverlayFS does not have stable inode numbers.
Samba critically depends on inode numbers to be stable, so
if my memory is right, Samba is not usable on top of
OverlayFS.

I have not tried myself, so what I say might be completely
wrong.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de