Samba AD DC and Kerberos

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:49:27 UTC 2015

1. I thought you don't really need winbind configured but Kerberos is
mandatory.

2. Kerberos is part of AD. AD is not a software or a protocol, it's a
software and protocol aggregate. Kerberos is one part. AD is aggregation of
all parts.

3. ACLs are mandatory to have... ACLs : )
More seriously ACLs are here to be able to have advanced rights (ACLs) on
the few files which could be part of login process. These few files are
GPOs files and startup scripts. GPOs are activated according to these ACLs
set on files in SysVol share. I would expect strange behaviour with SysVol
hosted on some FS not able to understand ACLs.
Now ACLs are not really part of login process, they are more part of login
restriction and post-configuration. Without GPO and without startup
scripts, Windows users should still be able to connect on their system
connected to AD.

4. If no ACLs and no Kerberos, you should go to NT4 domain perhaps...