Query regarding samba working as domain controller

Anoop Singh anoop.singh at celstream.com
Thu Sep 10 03:26:42 UTC 2015

Hi Rowland,

Thanks a lot for the clarification.
I just want to summarize what I understood from your mail.

1. We can use DHCP obtained IP but fixed IP is recommended due to mentioned reason. I meant 127.0.0.1 only. Sorry for the typo. As per your suggestion this must not be used.
2. When Samba is configured as domain controller using tdbsam backend, smbd and winbind in turn started. So we can use "Samba file sharing".
3. When we configure Samba to connect to existing windows domain controller using winbind, smbd is running so we can configure "Samba file sharing" but its not recommended.

I have small confusion over summary 2 and 3. In summary 2, I mean the device on which samba is installed will itself act as domain controller and device will use its own users and groups for authentication while in summary 3 the device will just connect to existing windows active directory and device will be able to use windows users and groups for authentication. Am I right? And also smbd and winbindd both will be running in both configurations along with samba.

Let me know if you see any issue in my understanding.

Thank you once again for your kind mail and clarification.

With regards,
Anoop.