Progress on GitHub and alternatives

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:37:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 17:28 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> G'Day,
>>
>> For the past while it has concerned me that we need a better review
>> system and that we should have a mirror and be accepting
>> contributions
>> via github.
>>
>> To be clear, github isn't really a review system, but it has a
>> massive
>> user community that we want to try to better connect with.
>>
>> The plan is to make every github pull request turn into a mail on the
>> mailing list, so that we keep our mailing-list based workflow.
>
>> The URL for the official Samba Team repo is:
>> https://github.com/samba-team/samba
>
> I've done this now, and we have some test notification scripts sending mail to testlist.
> You can see how this looks at https://lists.samba.org/archive/testlist/2015-September/thread.html
> It needs a lot of work to be really nice, but it is a start.  Pull
> request on https://github.com/abartlet/gh-mailinglist-notifications are
> very, very welcome.
> I'm also trying to get another tool working:
> https://github.com/abartlet/pull-request-mailer
> This will post patches to the list, but for now it times out trying to
> clone the samba repo, so needs some love.
> Thanks,
> Andrew Bartlett--
> Andrew Bartlett
> https://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
> Samba Development and Support, Catalyst IT
> https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Awesome work, Andrew!

We've been moving all of our stuff over to bitbucket this week at
work, so I feel your pain.

I don't know if it would scale to what you're trying to do, but Jeff
Layton had us setup with a nice
git-format-patch/git-email-patch/patchwork/git-am workflow for the
cifs-utils package that pretty much Just Worked; to be fair, I don't
know how much effort it took to get it up and running.

If this starts to become time consuming, I'd touch base with him to
see how much effort the setup took.  So far as I understand you'd only
need a hook to fire after everything is staged and pushed.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.