[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Mon Oct 26 19:08:20 UTC 2015

Am 26.10.2015 um 17:21 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> No, it is the version of *your* Samba package, most of, if not all,
> other distros, use the actual Samba version.

This is the numbering system of eisfair.

> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong there (well to my eyes anyway)
> except possibly, because you have turned off syslog and if smbd isn't
> running, there may not be anywhere to log, so it logs to screen.

Ok, but this is no problem for me.

> What is the case for your distro? I mean why does it exist, what niche
> does it fill? What I am trying to get at, your distro uses Samba4 very
> much the same as S3, whilst there is nothing wrong with doing this,
> microsoft seems to be working towards only working with AD Domains, in
> which case, your distro could be left behind.

eisfair was born from fli4l (http://www.fli4l.de/en/). The idea is the same:

Use a very small system and configure every service with one tool and
with one syntax.

 From http://www.eisfair.org/en/eisfair/the-eisfair-project/:

[...]
The available Linux or Unix applications features their well engineered
state and stability during their usage on one side but on the other side
they are all different in their installation procedures and of course
their configuration. Every piece of software has it's own style. The
applications for the eisfair server use always the same tool for their
configuration. With this approach the effort on learning how to use the
system is minimized.

To reach this aim with the available applications a configuration
framework was designed which is located between the administration level
and the applications itself. This framework transfers a eisfair style
configuration into the format the application requires. With this
procedure it is possible to use the available internet services without
the need to read the whole documentation of a special application.
[...]

--
der tom