[Announce] Samba 4.3.1 Available for Download

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Mon Oct 26 15:48:36 UTC 2015

Am 26.10.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Rowland Penny:

>> # Version of Samba for eisfair is 2.21.0.
> My first thoughts were, no they cannot be using Samba2 and I was right,
> they aren't. It seems that, unlike every other distro on the planet,
> they have come up with their own numbering system.

It is the version number of the Samba _package_.

> I have got to say this, even though it says not to edit the smb.conf, I
> would, at least half of it is not really required for a standalone samba
> server.

Maybe, this package is historical grown. My first package was with the
internal Samba version 2.2.3a.

>  From the problems that the OP is having, I think there has to be
> something wrong with the way the Samba package is being compiled.

I'm the OP :-)
I'm building a package with Samba 4.3.1 for eisfair at this time - not
in the wild yet.

I could imagine that the problem is the VIRT-Kernel on testeis. The
build kernel is not VIRT. Changing against PAE:

testeis # rm /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb.samba.bak
testeis # /usr/bin/tdbbackup -s .samba.bak
/run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
tdb_mutex_open_ok[/run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb]: Can use mutexes
only with MUTEX_LOCKING or NOLOCK
Failed to open /run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb
testeis # uname -a
Linux testeis 3.2.71-eisfair-1-PAE #1 SMP Tue Oct 13 22:58:21 CEST 2015
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
testeis # /usr/bin/tdbbackup -l -s .samba.bak
/run/lock/samba/gencache_notrans.tdb

Then maybe the slightly older kernel version on the build host:
deveisneu # uname -a
Linux deveisneu 3.2.67-eisfair-1-PAE #1 SMP Tue May 19 19:30:40 CEST
2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> Can you please post just how you are compiling and creating your samba
> package?

export CFLAGS='-O2 -march=i486 -fomit-frame-pointer'
export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
./configure \
--target=i486-pc-linux-gnu \
--enable-fhs \
--prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--libdir=/usr/lib/samba \
--with-modulesdir=/usr/lib/samba \
--with-privatelibdir=/usr/lib/samba \
--with-privatedir=/etc \
--with-lockdir=/run/lock/samba \
--with-cachedir=/run/lock/samba \
--with-statedir=/run/lock/samba \
--with-piddir=/run \
--with-configdir=/etc \
--with-logfilebase=/var/log \
--localstatedir=/var \
--with-sendfile-support \
--without-ads \
--without-ldap \
--disable-cups \
--disable-iprint \
--with-utmp \
--with-quotas \
--with-pam \
--with-pam_smbpass \
--with-acl-support \
--with-privileged-socket-dir=/run/samba \
--with-aio-support \
--without-dnsupdate \
--without-syslog \
--without-automount \
--without-cluster-support \
--disable-glusterfs \
--without-ad-dc \
--datarootdir=/usr/lib

make -j2

sambaver=samba-4.3.1
make DESTDIR=/tmp/$sambaver install
for a in /tmp/$sambaver/usr/bin/* \
          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/* \
          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/security/* \
          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/lib/samba/vfs/* \
          /tmp/$sambaver/usr/sbin/*
do
     strip -R .comment -R .note $a
done

And then I'm packing it with the rest (scripts etc).

--
der tom