rename parent directory and v2 lease breaks

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:41:36 MST 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Ralph Böhme <rb at sernet.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 06:54:26AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 02:41:31PM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> > > I was testing Samba 4.2 and noticed that renaming the parent directory
> > > did not trigger a v2 lease break for files opened in that directory
> > > (it looks like Windows does send one though).
> > >
> > > Shouldn't rename of the parent directory trigger a lease break for
> > > open files in the directory?
> >
> > Yes, it should.
>
> Hm, I fail to find this in the doc, the only applicable rule I see is:
>
> * If Open.File.FileType is DirectoryFile, determine whether Open.File
>   contains open files ...
>
> * If Open.File contains open files, the operation MUST be failed with
>   STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> in MS-FSA 2.1.5.14.11. The pseudocode algo doesn't mention any lease
> break triggering. Am I missing anything? Is this missing in the doc?
>
> See 3.3.1.4 of MS-SMB2

HANDLE caching permits one or more SMB2 clients to delay closing handles it
holds open, or to defer sending opens. Before processing one of the
following operations, the underlying
object store MUST request that the server revoke HANDLE caching, and the
object store MUST wait for acknowledgment before proceeding with the
operation:
HANDLE caching on a file:
 A file is opened with an access or share mode incompatible with opens
from different
ClientIds or local applications as described in [MS-FSA] section 2.1.5.1.2.
 The parent directory is being renamed.

--
Thanks,

Steve