[Release Planning 4.2] Samba 4.2.0rc1 scheduled for Wednesday, October 1 (was: Monday, September 22)

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:41:06 MDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Karolin Seeger <kseeger at samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Amitay,
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 11:14:00AM +1000, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Karolin Seeger <kseeger at samba.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > Samba 4.2.0rc1 will be delayed. Some important things need to be
> > > discussed/finished first (CTDB releases e.g.).
> > >

> > What's the problem with CTDB releases?
> >
> > As I discussed with Michael and Metze, CTDB should be bundled as part of
> > Samba 4.2 release.  The only issue I know of is that currently CTDB needs
> > to be built separately from ctdb/ sub-directory.  However, Martin is
> > working on getting CTDB build integrated in the top-level build.  Is
> there
> > anything else?
>
> so there won't be a separate tarball?

That's correct. There won't be a separate tarball for CTDB.  Separate
tarball defeats the whole idea of merging the code base.  Both samba and
ctdb will have the same version.  This also avoids the potential problem of
using mismatched samba and ctdb versions.

Please clarify what needs to be done until rc1 and what I need to
> know/change in the release process or announcements.

We will try to get the patches for combined build (ctdb building from
top-level build) in master as soon as possible. But even if they are not in
master for rc1, that should not be the show stopper for rc1.  I don't think
there will be any changes in terms of release process or announcements, as
long as ctdb/ subdirectory gets bundled in the tarball.

Amitay.