The theory and practice of CTDB?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 07:41:36 MST 2014

Hi Richard and José,

Maybe too superficial for what you want, and somewhat outdated
as well, but anyhow:
http://www.samba.org/~obnox/presentations/sambaXP-2009/samba-and-ctdb.pdf

This is also referenced here:
http://ctdb.samba.org/documentation.html

On 2014-11-17 at 08:27 -0600, José A. Rivera wrote:
> Hey Richard!
>
> I've been looking into this as well. I don't know of any general/theory
> docs for CTDB, unfortunately. Have you had a chance to go over openSUSE's
> docs[1] on the matter? That's the general framework I'm working off of.
>
> --Jose
> [1]
> http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLE-HA/SLE-ha-guide_sd_draft/cha.ha.samba.html
>

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Richard Sharpe <
> realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Is there such a document of collection of documents. What I have found
> > in the wiki so far is sparse and inadequate in a number of ways.
> >
> > I need to know more about ctdb and I have seen references to using
> > Pacemaker etc for handling nodes coming and going and need to evaluate
> > that option.

Yeah, this is in principle possible:
You just need to disable all cluster management capabilities
in ctdb and restrict it to doing databases only. This is
achieved by not specifying a public addresses file and not
setting  any CTDB_MANAGES_FOO in /etc/sysconfig/ctdb.
And then you have to make sure you have reasonable dependencies
for ctdb, samba, etc in pacemaker resource agents.

I discussed that with SuSE and Red Hat clustering folks
already at the Linux Plumbers conference in 2010.

My SDC 2011 talk "ctdb status" contains a few slides on that:
http://www.samba.org/~obnox/presentations/sdc-2011/sdc-2011-obnox-handout.pdf

A continued discussion about this is highly welcome.

Cheers - Michael