change --picky-developer into --non-picky-developer

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri Mar 14 02:14:21 MDT 2014

On 2014-03-12 17:22, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> If a developer has a compiler that generates more warnings
> (as the gcc from ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04) he needs
> --non-picky-developer in order to avoid -Werror.

To get this to pass on the gcc shipped with Ubuntu 14.04, I need the
attached patch. I guess I could also fix the error for me by installing
libcups-dev, but (a) I'm mostly building Samba in AD DC mode to play
with DNS, and (b) I guess there's other reasons we have this code path.

I think the patch also nicely illustrates why I don't completely like
"treat warnings as errors". In order to avoid breaking the build with
this trivial warning, I need to add a lot of visual clutter to make the
compiler happy.

I do have a similar issue with the enum casts metze introduced to the
DNS server in this patchset. They case from a dns.idl enum to the
corresponding dnsp.idl enum and back. Both enums have the identical
numerical values, so the assignment should be safe in any case. With the
cast, the code is harder to read.

I can see how in general we want to avoid triggering compiler warnings,
but do we want to enforce this at the cost of code readability?

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin