Where Samba has come from and where it might be going

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:06:27 MDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM, John Terpstra
<john.terpstra.samba at gmail.com> wrote:
> I urge all of us to enthusiastically enable broad adoption of Samba into
> the cloud environment -

So, what does it mean to "enable broad adoption"? It sounds nice, but
that wont get us anywhere, I suspect.

I can see several possibilities, and surely I have missed some or many:

1. Simple VFS modules to allow Samba to store files on S3 or Google's cloud etc.

2. More complete VFS modules that provide something like CTDB but
optimized for higher latency WAN-like situations. This would allow
those with geographically distributed environments to make better use
of the "cloud" and is something I am intimately familiar with.

3. Allowing Samba to function in OpenStack.

4. ...

Now, I suspect that we are going to need to understand what each of
these requires and then make the appropriate changes or find people to
make the appropriate changes ...

Also, I think there will always be two aspects to this:

1. Technological. That is, what neat new technologies do people want
to work on, and

2. Organizational. Who can find the time and experience to contribute.
That is, either with their own resources (time, etc) or by working for
companies that need solutions that layer on the base in this area.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe