Final GPO Service Video + Code

luke morrison luc785 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:48:59 MDT 2014

Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you for the replies. I understand more about the source control and the importance of it within Samba.

I just emailed someone to see if I am legally allowed to do the git history during the summer. Due to a contract I signed as an intern I may or may not be able to. I will keep posted as that gentleman is gone this week.

> > But let me make one more comment here:
> > A GSOC student is not a random contributor but is
> > expected (at least by me) to get the hang of how
> > samba development works as part of the GSOC project,
> > and this includes coding style and presentation of
> > patches, chopping up the changes into logical commits,
> > etc. Of course the mentor(s) should greatly help
> > the student in mastering this formalism.
I think no student, or person can master Samba formalism in 2.5 months, with or without a mentor or 20 mentors. Impossible. Unless Samba gets a massively elaborate manual about how it works each step of the way, than each student, like myself will have to learn the qualities step by step of gdb, wireshark, tcpdump, vim, Linux (if they are new to that), talloc, WAF, LDAP, Active Directory, the list goes on...

A GSoC student starts as a random contributor but finishes as a developer. Samba is great for this. But a bit overwhelming. In the end nobody is to blame, and GSoC is a long term investment for Samba. I am crazy enough to still be invested after one year. I think your statement has truth, but for 1st/2nd year CS or Soft Eng students, it can fluctuate, and some understanding of where students are starting from needs to be had.

"If you are trying to contribute something
and you feel badly done to, please feel
free to complain to me and I'll try and
fix it (sometimes behind the scenes :-)."

Thank you Jeremy. This means a lot coming from you. This is why you are the infamous Jeremy Allison, because you are awesome :)

> I know, and folks around here can attest to the battles I
> waged against the 'git style' rules folks wanted me to adhere to.  It
> took me ages, and a mastery of git rebase, but I now produce changes in
> a bisect-able patch series of small and self-contained commits.  It
> takes *ages*, but it also means that when other folks look over my
> changes (say for example as part of our review process), they can
> generally say 'I know what that does', to each step at a time.
Fair!

I appreciate the community reaching out. I do not feel like I am sitting alone in a closet anymore with my keyboard. Moreso I feel like this code can make it to master now that I know exactly what needs to be done, and that people are invested in the outcome in both my code and ultimately the success of Samba and new contributors.
As mentioned before, I contacted a person to ask if I can fix my git. Will keep posted.

Regards

Luke Morrison