Removing the NT_STATUS_HAVE_NO_MEMORY_AND_FREE macro

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Feb 17 18:42:02 MST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:09:12AM +0100, Michael Adam wrote:

> ... our practice for coding rules is that we try to make
> *new* code adhere to them. Existing code can be adapted
> as it is touched. We do not usually walk over the existing
> code and do changes just to make it adhere to the guidelines.
> Doing this has several downsides:
>
> - It blurs code ownership.
> - It makes backports harder.
> - It is seductive to do tons of scripted changes
>   instead of concentrating on real work.
>
> So as a consequence, while I do in principle agree
> with the result of the patches, I am sceptical
> towards this change.

If this were a larger, more invasive change set
I would agree. But having looked over this change:

a). it isn't really invasive (and so won't blur
ownership).
b). IMHO the patchset is in the same vein as changes that
Volker, myself and others do every day to tidy
up the code and make it more maintainable.

Some people just find it easier to do things by scripts
rather than by hand :-).

Having said that, as it *is* merely a code cleanup I
can also live without it of course if people
disagree.

Jeremy.