rfc2307

David Schmitt david at dasz.at
Sat Feb 15 06:30:01 MST 2014

On 2014-02-14 16:52, steve wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 23:33 +0800, Chan Min Wai wrote:
>> Dear Rowland,
>>
>> Just to check.
>> Can winbind just use the Sid (maybe the truncated Sid) from windows
>> as the uid and Gid?
>>
>> Isn't that a much simpler approach?
>
> The OP has specific uid:gid he wants to use, so no. The truncated sid
> method you mention is called rid. It's the bit right after the domain
> sid.

Actually that was only what I was using to poke around at the system.
Not having to do anything and still get consistent results AD-wide would
be even better ;-)

I was (locally) running out of time when I wrote the first message so
re-reading it I see that it was not totally coherent, but the hint to
samba-tool user add was already very helpful in setting up a user with
proper attributes. Being able to get manually to a good state is still
better than having no (automatic;) way at all.

Many thanks!

Regards, David