[PROPOSAL] Remove BOOLREV (enable spoolss, writable, writeable) parameters

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Feb 14 13:28:24 MST 2014

On 2014-02-14 at 18:10 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2014 17:30:46 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > While not required by any work being done right now, looking forward to
> > a consistent loadparm in the future, I think the job would be easier if
> > we didn't have BOOLREV synonyms.
> >
> > Could we deprecate these parameters for 4.2, and remove them for 4.3?
> >
> > It would be safe (in a security sense) for upgrades to 4.3, because if
> > they were still in use, such a share would just become read only, or at
> > worst spoolss would be enabled.  In the long term, I think it would be
> > easier to explain our syntax to our users without this 'feature'.
> >
> > What do folks think?
>
> You mean:
>
> wurst = true
> wurst = True
> wurst = yes
> wurst = Yes

This is not about the different ways we offer to
specify a boolean value.

What Andrew is referring to here is the concept
of having REVERSE boolean synonyms like

writeable  <-> read only

Regarding Andrew's question, I am not certain.
The inverse synonyms are quite convenient at times,
and people are used to it, so what more precisely would
we gain by removing them?

Cheers - Michael