Homepage project description

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Aug 13 10:52:54 MDT 2014

The samba.org index page describes Samba in the following way:

  Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and
  Unix.

  Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Samba
  project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.

  Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print services
  for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all versions of DOS and
  Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.

  Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and
  Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind daemon.

This fails to mention any of the server side directory services beyond winbind.

I'd like to change that last paragraph to cover the work we did for 4.0. What
about something like:

  Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and
  Desktops into Active Directory environments, and it can function both as a
  domain controller and as a domain member.

Cheers,

Jelmer