samba-tool

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:59:29 MDT 2013

On 03/10/13 20:36, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:
> On 03/10/2013 18:15, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> Different in what way, can you give a specific example? There is no
>>> command-line tool on Windows called 'samba-tool', and
>>> we long seem to have given up on trying to make it match
>>> the behaviour of the 'net' tool on Windows.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jelmer
>> Hi Jelmer, If you create a user in ADUC and add the Unix attributes,
>> this is done totally differently to the way that samba-tool does it. For
>> instance,  '--uid-number' requires that you give a 'uidNumber' but ADUC
>> (provided AD is setup correctly) supplies it automatically, samba-tool
>> also doesn't add all the attributes that ADUC does.
>>
>> Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
> Indeed only portion of the attributes are configurable via samba-tool.
> Are there particular attributes you are interested in?

Hi, what I am trying to get across is, for adding a unix user,
samba-tool does not work in the same way as ADUC does.

If you have the attribute 'msSFU30MaxUidNumber' in
'CN=example,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=example,DC=com'
then ADUC will get the uidNumber automatically, if you use samba-tool,
you have to supply the uidNumber, ADUC also adds the following attributes:
uid, msSFU30Name, msSFU30NisDomain, uidNumber, gidNumber,
unixHomeDirectory, loginShell, unixUserPassword

I know that I can do what ADUC does with a bash script and ldif's, but I
do not know anything about python to alter samba-tool, but I do believe
that samba-tool should, when it comes to creating a unix user, work the
same as ADUC

Rowland