Booting and log in for Windows 7 to Samba 3.2 domain is very slow

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Nov 14 07:15:43 MST 2013

On 10/10/2013 05:43 AM, Ramanjaneya Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Booting and log in for windows 7 to samba domain is very slow. I have tried
> all the settings and configs with registry. But it is taking almost 3-4
> mins for rebooting.
> Please suggest me any alternatives.
>
> Regards,
> Ram

To diagnose this, your friends are
- samba logging turned up high and tail -f
- strace or truss running on the fd that correponds to the port
- wireshark capturing the data on the net at the time. and
- a stack trace at the time of the problem (more about this later).

Your eyeballs are really good for this: you'll see in the first three cases
 - a request go by, followed by a long long wait, followed by a reply
or
 - millions of request, back to back.

The former is likely, and the problem will be in the handling of the
request.
If you can catch it in the problem state, capture a  stack traceback
with gdb.
Between the time data ("horizontal") and the stack trace (vertical)
you'll end up with a candidate to investigate

The latter (gadzillions of requests)  is less likely, but the same data
is used to diagnose it. Look for the same request being retried repeatedly.

--dave

(416) 223-8968