[PROPOSAL] To retire autoconf for 4.1

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed May 22 14:49:07 MDT 2013

On 05/21/2013 07:11 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>>> Have you tried the gold linker ? Micheal suggested me at XP and I
>>> must confess that it makes things way more faster when linking.
>>> For the moment wafbuild is only able to use the system linker but it
>>> should be very hard to teach him how to use another linker for the
>>> one who don't want to use it by default (the gold linker)
>> Yes, I did try. But it did not work for me, so I did not
>> pursue it further.
> Also, if I understand it correctly, the gold linker only
> would speed up the linking phase. It would not help with the
> problem that we have to compile everything before we even
> start linking, right?
Correct, part of a lot of recompilation might come from the check
symbols stuff that force every lib to be recompiled, I suspect that we
can add an option to not enable it (enabled by default in
./configure.developer) and with the use of --targets it should help.

As said on irc, if you are working on a lib like talloc or ldb, doing
waf --targets=<lib>.objlist will just compile the .o for this object
Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team