Server Role questions

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:47:34 MDT 2013

Ok, so I am back to the issue of trying to get the samba binary to 'do the
right thing' and only start the needed services (instead of just warning
the user about it not being an AD DC).

Currently samba has 5 different server roles defined:

} srv_role_tab [] = {
        { ROLE_STANDALONE, "ROLE_STANDALONE" },
        { ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER, "ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER" },
        { ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC, "ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC" },
        { ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC, "ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC" },
        { ROLE_ACTIVE_DIRECTORY_DC, "ROLE_ACTIVE_DIRECTORY_DC" },
        { 0, NULL }

so if its not defined it falls into the NULL role. In my continuing efforts
to make things 'easier' I would like to know what all can fall under the
NULL (what kind of setups don't match the above). Obviously things like a
standalone NMBD server or WINBINDD server, but are there others? If so can
anyone explain what needs to be spawned and why?

Is there a need to add new roles? Can the 'server services =' be taken into
account when the above roles aren't matched? Is there documentation on how
the roles are supposed to act when they are used (and if not, can we start
there)? Sorry for all the questions, but I am really needing some developer
feedback here.

Thanks for reading,
Ricky