New date for Samba 4.1rc1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 13 02:34:59 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 15:41 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> sticking to our 9 month release cycle means, Samba 4.1.0 is scheduled for
> September 11 2013.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Release_Planning_for_Samba_4.1
>
> That said, we need to start with the release candidates pretty soon.
> I would like to propose to ship Samba 4.1.0rc1 on June 11. The other RCs
> (if needed) would be "scheduled" for July 11 (RC2) and August 9 (RC3).
> If we would need more RCs, we could tighten the RCs in the end.
>
> Are there any objections?

Karolin,

As we discussed on IRC and in private, I'm very keen to see Samba 4.1
released on schedule, but while we missed the date to do the branching
work, I don't feel a great need to rush into trying to catch up on it.

As long as we still release on time, given the manner of patches that
are being made to master (ie, most stuff is pretty low-impact, or
important fixes), I don't see a major risk in delaying the branch and
rc1.

I'm all for making the release manager's life as simple as possible, as
it is a big burden, so I'll support whatever you feel will make that
easiest.

We can always revisit the branching if I get the sudden urge to rewrite
winbind or similar :-)