CTDB and the road ahead.

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sun Jan 20 19:18:13 MST 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:27:52 -0600, "Christopher R. Hertel"
<crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> On 01/14/2013 05:06 PM, Amitay Isaacs wrote:

> > So
> > CTDB branch 1.13 (CTDB version 1.44) is now completely defunct and should
> > not be used. I would prefer to do regular releases of CTDB 2.x (time
> > permitting). Currently 2.x releases are done from master which makes it
> > easier to manage.
>
> With my vendor hat on (and you know what color that is), I need to be able
> to identify a release of CTDB to ship with products.  I can back-port fixes,
> as needed, but I need a foundation from which to work.

There isn't much (any?) feature development being done.  Most of
the changes we're making are bug fixes, performance improvements or
code cleanups to improve maintainability.

The 2.x releases are seeing a good amount of testing, so I think you'd
be safe to follow those releases.

The decision to call the current releases 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, ... was mainly
to avoid having an unnecessarily long version number, much like Linus'
decision to go to 3.0 for the Linux kernel.  At some point this year,
especially when we start doing some more interesting development, we'll
probably branch...  but for now we're fixing bugs...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin