pthread checks in libreplace?

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Jan 14 07:38:22 MST 2013

Hi Volker,

> In lib/replace/wscript I find a CHECK_FUNCS_IN test for
> pthread_create. In source3/wscript there are more tests for
> pthread functionality, also setting some CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
> Similar to that, lib/replace seems to have no pthread m4
> macros around at all, where source3/configure.in knows quite
> something.
>
> Now that I am working towards using mutexes in tdb, it might
> be helpful to have more thorough pthread checking in
> libreplace, as tdb seems to depend on it.
>
> Question: What is the intention regarding pthread checks in
> libreplace? Put more of it there or push them out to the
> libreplace users?

I think it's fine to have some basic checks for pthreads in libreplace.

I've took a look at
https://gitweb.samba.org/?p=vl/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=93a2637eac4d1146bc2960d1a8a99930ad2f81c2

It's fine I'd just put the header file in as
lib/replace/system/threads.h instead of lib/replace/thread.h
(and add the same checks to into the AC_LIBREPLACE_BROKEN_CHECKS
block in lib/replace/libreplace.m4)

metze