Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 11:49:26 MST 2013

Hi Rowland.

> Er, how can you forward the dns server to itself?

Well, that isn't how I read the (*very little*) information in the HOWTO.
I read it as
the address the Samba internal DNS server would use if the address could
not be
resolved.

In this case, it would be forwarded to the host, which if not resolved
there would be
forwarded to a gateway on the network.  So this means /etc/resolv.conf
really has
two entries.  One for the host (primary) and the other for the gateway
(secondary).
Addresses part of the domain I'm trying to create would be resolved by the
host
and addresses which could not be resolved would get forwarded to the
gateway.

None of the zone files have any forwarders declared.

It also appeared this would aid the situation so the SRV records would be
added
to the host and not another DNS server on the network.  (Again, not a lot
of infor
in the HOWTO.)

> You haven't installed a separate kerberos server...

I haven't installed any Kerberos server as yet.