Samba + NFS + (not visible) ACLs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 15 04:19:55 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 12:15 +0100, Albert Fluegel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:24:59PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Have you seen vfs_fake_perms.c, which is already in the tree?
> yes, sure. It does different things. Probably it would make sense
> to write a more general module for configurable manipulation of
> permissions.

I agree.  Clearly there is some (small) demand for these things.

The only thing to be careful of is that Samba may choose to rely on the
reported permissions, and may in turn honour those (using a root
override in some specific cases) towards clients.  In your case that
doesn't matter (the NFS server has the final say), and in the original
use case I had this module on a read only share.