Which patches are NOT for 4.0?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 24 19:35:43 MDT 2012

I just wanted to raise an interesting observation from watching the GIT
tree since rc1.  That is, when selecting the patches we want to get in
the rc2 release, we might want to work not just off the bugs in
bugzilla, but instead look over *all* the patches in master.

I don't see this as us 'releasing from master', but instead just noting
that there isn't any feature work going on yet, and that everyone is and
has been working exclusively on release-critical bugs.

Naturally, this gets harder as soon as someone starts on features for
4.1, but for now, I just wanted to raise the idea as either:
 - a benchmark to compare with (so we don't miss something)
 - or a way perhaps two of us could work over the patch list and prepare
a single, larger bug with most/all of rc1..master changes in it.

To be totally clear: I'm not wanting to change our policy on what can be
put into RC at this point, just trying to make the mechanics simpler for
all involved.