On keeping the docs

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Sep 13 12:25:32 MDT 2012

From: Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:12:41 +0200

> Am Thursday, den 13.09.2012, 13:28 +0200 schrieb Björn JACKE:
> > On 2012-09-13 at 12:58 +0200 Jelmer Vernooij sent off:
> > > I'm a big fan of wikis and I think they're a great tool, but wikis are
> > > not magic - either way we'll need editors who keep an eye on the
> > > contents and coherency of the docs.
> >
> > for that reason I ѕaid we should all monitor wiki changes (there is that nice
> > watch feature). Changes in the wiki should be looked at just like we
> > look at the commit messages in git.
>
> > > The HOWTO collection has a lot more
> > > information than is currently on the wiki.
> >
> > that's why I proposed to make selective c&p work from the howto collection to
> > the wiki and still give a pointer to the old and partly outdated howto
> > collection. And we have no timeslots for redundant documentation work, don't
> > you agree?
> Copying the documentation to the wiki and maintaining the wiki requires
> time and effort too. I don't see why we would have manpower for that and
> not for updating the existing documentation; I think the latter would
> actually require less effort.

Wiki tends to show informations only for the latest versions.

When someone has to use an older version for some reasons and wants to
look at HowTos for the version, it's difficult to search on Wiki.

Outdated informations are useful for the people who have to use some
outdated versions.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com>