Scaling of ctdb & DNS round robin and scaling of pdc

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Oct 25 06:48:57 MDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 04:28 AM, Johannes Amorosa | Celluloid VFX wrote:
> Hello List,
> I hope this is the right place to ask - I have two questions:
>
> 1. In the ctdb wiki http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup it is
> recommended to use dns round robin for loadbalancing.
> I'm quite new to this - how does samba handle a "session". We need
> massive I/O for our setup and considering ctdb to avoid our
> smb bottleneck. When is the client getting a "different" IP- Address?
> Everytime a file is read or stored - our every morning when
> you log into your workstation. If this is the case then loadbalancing
> would be quite random. The scaling figures in one of the PDFs
> are impressive - are these "artifical" benchmark tests or real life
> scaling?
>
> 2. Can the PDC be a bottleneck. Can I avoid this with samba 4 and
> integrated PDC? I would like to here your opinion
>
> Thank you for your time.
> Johannes

Can you tell us how long a request takes on an un-loaded system, and
very approximately what a request "looks like"?

For example, one of my projects was delivering large scanned images via
NFS/SMB to a pc client to display, and an image took about 1/10 of a
second to get from the server.

It therefor had an obvious limit at 10 image per second on that
(uniprocessor) server.

--dave

(416) 223-8968