Samba 4 from internal DNS to named and GPOs issue

admin at blackpenguin.org admin at blackpenguin.org
Tue Oct 23 06:29:19 MDT 2012

On 2012-10-22 05:19, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 08:59 -0700, bogdan_bartos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Samba 4 RC3 on a VM and I want to backup the whole
>> thing and
>> restore it onto a physical machine. I know there is a script for
>> that, but
>> currently I have it running by using the internal DNS and I want to
>> have it
>> running with named. Would the script carry the DNS confog over? How
>> do I
>> make it swicth from internal to named?
>
> My understanding is that you:
>
>  - Change the smb.conf settings, and then run samba_dnsupgrade

1. I ran the backup successfully. However, I do not know how to restore
the backup.
2. What exactly do I change in smb.conf?

>> I also have several GPOs set, but the client machines will not pick
>> them up.
>> I disabled the shutdown, control panel and other things, but as soon
>> as I
>> access the GPO with GPMC, it says that the SYSVOL data is not in
>> sync with
>> the AD data and it just doesn't work. Is this a bug in Samba 4 RC3?
>
> Is this against your second DC?  Remember, you have to sync your
> sysvol
> files manually.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

3. I do not have 2 DCs. I am willing to try this out, but the howtos
are not that great.

First I need to be able to do basic things like backing it up,
restoring it, upgrading it, replicating it. Then I can say that is meant
to be easy, but up to now it's not. I've been using samba 3 for a long
time now, but samba4 is not that well documented. A regular person will
be able to install it, provision it, but then it will come time to
change things and play. If I would be in aproduction environment, this
would be a really tought job to recover from a loss without the proper
documentation.

I bet programming samba was a tought job, but to make a software "fly",
you really need an awesome tutorial. Or better step-by-step
explanations.