Tune gencache a bit

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 07:04:09 MST 2012

Comments on review:

This will impose an extra read on all writes.  Now is that a big deal?  It
depends on what you are stalling on.  The syncs or fcntl locks.  On fcntl
locks it could hurt, because you could be doubling up your tdb use on write.

But if the patch removes a large number of the writes.... And for the other
cases the writes are so infrequent, nobody may care in reality.

The only other comment is that I'd probably roll the two additional_time
ifs together, because in my mind they are really testing the same
condition.  But that is SO in the weeds it doesn't matter.  (I wouldn't
make the comment if I wasn't commenting on a real issue.)

I'd have to test this locally, but I doubt our workloads stress gencache
enough to matter.

You noted losing gencache_nosync.tdb on boot, is it worth repopulating, in
your use case?  (I'm not sure if we'd corrupt it or not.)

-Ira