Name service switch broken on samba 4 RC5?

Bernard Bos B.Bos at stationtostation.nl
Fri Nov 16 03:37:32 MST 2012

Hi,

I did recently an fresh install of our Samba testing environment with
samba Release Canidate 5.

I noticed that the getent isn't working anymore as it should be. It
doesn't give any users or groups back from winbind.

The distribution we use is CentOS 6.3.

I installed /usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 to
/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2

ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 /lib/libnss_winbind.so

/sbin/ldconfig -v | grep winbind

nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files winbind

shadow:     files

group:      files winbind

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g

does give the proper result.

We had this working with RC 3.

Am I missing something in relation to the newer RC versions?

What I now also noticed, is that running wbinfo -u takes a long time to
return the users.

While running this command samba has a high CPU load. I don't know for
sure if this differ with previous releases of samba 4

On samba 4:

date ; wbinfo -u | wc -l ; date

Fri Nov 16 11:30:56 CET 2012

361