about -Wstack-protector

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Tue Nov 13 05:32:01 MST 2012

Hi Matthieu,

On 2012-11-11 at 13:46 -0800 Matthieu Patou sent off:
> in change e6643fbf you added a search for -Wstack-protector.
> I'm not sure that lib/replace/wscript is the place for this kind of
> tests,

that's the place where similar things have been setup in waf before. Wanna
propose a better place?

> also it would have been nice not to mess tabs and space, we
> tend to use only space for indentation in python script.

sorry, I'll fix this or we should clear that when we move it to a different
place in the waf build then.

> What's more important is that if you want the warning to be effective you
> need to enable -fstack-protector, for instance on my linux 12.04 ubuntu it's
> not but on my mac mini it's on.

ahh, that's why there came no warnings. I was actually surprised that samba
should be stack-protector warning clean :-)

> And last but not least having warnings about the stack protector not being
> setup is good but in the same time it generates a lot of new warnings, maybe
> we should fix the existing ones before ?

do you have some fixes from your OS X build already?

Cheers
Björn