Treating share modes as advisory when set by Mac clients

Tue Mar 13 13:04:44 MDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:59:06PM -0400, Brian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Frank Lahm <franklahm at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
> > I'd ask myself if I was asking the right questions. You're using a
> > Windows network protocol ducktaped for OS X. Hint: AFP.
>

> We have tried using AFP; and in fact, we export our shares under both AFP
> (via netatalk) and SMB (via Samba), and allow clients to choose between
> them.
>
> But AFP has many problems of its own. Apparently QuickTime has issues
> writing DV files larger than 2 GB on AFP shares, and Avid has trouble with
> locking of certain metadata. I'm fairly new here, so I haven't tracked
> these issues down myself to tell if they are bugs in the applications,
> Apple's AFP client, the AFP protocol itself, or netatalk, this is just what
> I've heard about why we generally use SMB instead of AFP.
>
> Up until this issue, Samba + DAVE has been the best combination for our
> needs. And if we could just treat these locks as advisory, as the Mac
> expects them to be, then I believe that we would be fine. All that's biting
> us are these locks that had been ignored by DAVE are now being implemented,
> and Samba is treating them as mandatory (well, resource forks also
> occasionally come up as an issue, but that will be true any time you need
> to share files between Mac and Windows clients).

We need to fix "share modes = no" for you. It is highly
deprecated and will cause data corruption, but if it is
necessary to support OS/X, that's what you want. Probably
OS/X has its own secure mechanisms to protect against this
data corruption.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de