default FILE SERVER change for EXISTING Samba4 installs (was Re: Is a 'flag day' OK for a move from ntvfs to s3fs by default?)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 14 17:05:29 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 12:17 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 04:54 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Excuse the shouting, but if we decided not to do this, it is hard(er) to
> > go back, so I would appreciate some careful thought.  (The alternative
> > isn't great either, and presumably would need to be maintained for some
> > time).
> >
> > On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 12:06 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >>
> >> If not, then we need to work out a way to make this automatic.  The
> >> obvious candidate would seem to be the 'server role' change I'm also
> >> proposing.  It's ugly, but instead of being a synonym of 'active
> >> directory domain controller', we could make 'domain
> >> controller' (currently written into smb.conf files) mean 'AD DC with
> >> ntvfs' (and give a deprecation warning), possibly then overridden by any
> >> other 'server services' and 'dcerpc endpoint services' values set.
> Why not having a script to do the change ?

I don't mind a script, but how do we convince anybody to run it?

I figure if they want ntvfs badly enough, and we make it clear in the
WHATSNEW about the change, that they can mange to add two lines to an
smb.conf.

The theory is that the main thing that they would notice is the smb.conf
warnings until we shut those up.  (Because most of our users have
followed our advise and used it just for sysvol).

To give us a clear cut-over, I propose to do this just before beta2.