Samba 4.0 beta2 in two weeks time, roadmap to release?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Jun 5 14:03:51 MDT 2012

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:08:19AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Would it be too soon to attempt another beta on 19 June?
> >
> > I'm hoping to capture NTDB at that point, and have most of the remaining
> > config.h differences removed between waf and autoconf.
> >
> > In the meantime, if you get anything major done, please update WHATSNEW
> >
> > >From there, I would like to start a march towards an RC of Samba 4.0.
> >
> > To start discussion:
> >
> > Beta 2 19 June
> > Beta 3  3 July
> > Beta 4 17 July (possible RC1 if we are confident)
> > RC1    31 July
> >
> > If we are ready for Release Candidate by 17 July, then we make it an RC,
> > but if we do one more beta, we should be filling (and emptying) the
> > blocker bug with the reasons.
> >
> > Why now?  In order to make a release 12 months after Samba 3.6 (9 Aug
> > 2011), we need to make a release soon.  Our users are keen, both of the
> > file server and AD side, and we have a great product.  We should give
> > our users the chance to enjoy it in a stable release.
> >
> > What do folks think?
>
> Just want to confirm, we're planning to branch off the
> v4-0-test tree at RC1, and then move under release management
> control, yes ?

Yes, the plan that we had consensus about, is to branch v4-0-test
(and/or v4-0-stable) and turn release management over to the
bugzilla-only mode managed by Karolin a RC1 release time.

The reason for not branching earlier (e.g. for the beta) but
leaving the branch open for all devs until the rc1 is that it
did not work out especially well in the past: we had to resync
with master a couple of times. So we rather stick with master
for the beta and only branch and lock it down at the same time
with rc1.

> If so, then that sounds possible (if a little ambitious :-).

Yeah, indeed. If RC date can't be kept, we can still add one
more beta or so, though we should try to avoid that.

Cheers - Michael