Shipping waf uncompressed?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue Jan 3 17:02:41 MST 2012

> Does anybody have an objection against actually shipping the unpacked
> soure code ?

I don't mind that at all, although we'd need to be careful to keep the
portability substitution that is currently done to preserve
compatibility with earlier python versions. That will make the code look
a little odd, and different from what you see in the waf git repo. I'd
hate to lose that both because it helps with portability, plus it means
we're running the same version of waf that other users run, so Thomas is
much more likely to be able to help us.

I'd also like to be able to update easily to new versions of waf when
bug fixes are made. Right now that involves running
"./waf-light --make-waf --zip-type=gz" and copying the resulting 'waf'
file into buildtools/bin/waf-svn. Perhaps a script in
buildtools/scripts/ that unpacks the 'waf' file into the form we want is
how things should be done?

Cheers, Tridge