/usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd broken?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 29 09:13:22 MDT 2012

On 29/08/12 16:51, Rowland Penny wrote:

> This is what is in the smb.conf on both clients:
>
>          winbind enum users = yes
>          winbind enum groups = yes
>          winbind use default domain = yes
>          winbind expand groups = 4
>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>          winbind refresh tickets = Yes
>          winbind offline logon = yes
>          winbind normalize names = Yes
>          idmap config HOME:schema_mode = rfc2307
>          idmap config HOME:range = 20000-3100000
>          idmap config HOME:backend = ad
>          idmap config *:range = 1100-2000
>          idmap config *:backend = tdb

Hi Rowland.
It took me a long time to work this one out and without Géza I'd never
have got it. Here's as plain an explanation as I can manage.

This smb.conf will work only for the S3 client. None of this is valid
nor understood by Samba4. All you need on the S4 client (under [global]) is:
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = Yes
Delete what you have and replace it simply with that one line.

Let us know it it now maps OK. Oh, I think you have to restart Samba4
for it to re-read the smb.conf.

HTH
Steve