Upgrading Alpha9 install to master

Brian Marshall brian at netcents.com
Sun Aug 19 18:19:04 MDT 2012

Hello, long time samba4 user (going back to the TPs) here. I stopped
keeping up with master around Alpha9, since everything was stable for my
small domain.
However, things have changed with my latest round of hardware upgrades,
and I can't successfully use new machines on the domain. I can join, but
then wbinfo doesn't work, and I can't log on with SSO (tons of IDMap
errors).
I'd like to be able to upgrade to a newer version of Samba to see if
that fixes my problems, but no matter what version I try,
upgradeprovision just hoses my install. I've tried
Alpha10,11,13,14,15,16 and 17 as well as master. They all build properly
and segfault at different places. The Alphas segfault looking for ldb
files (and creating them just makes a segfault farther along, which
hoses the install), and master segfaults trying to parse the
Configuration CN. I've pasted the output below:

galadriel:/usr/src/samba-master# ./bin/upgradeprovision
Your provision lacks provision range information
Do you want to run findprovisionusnranges to try to find them ? [y/N] y
Here is a list of changes that modified more than 5 objects in 1 minute.
Usually changes made by provision and upgradeprovision are those who
affect a couple of hundred of objects or more
Total number of objects: 3244

Sat Oct 31 23:21:00 2009 PDT # of modification: 3230    min: 10 max: 3274

To track the USNs modified/created by provision and upgrade proivsion,
  the following ranges are proposed to be added to your provision sam.ldb:
lastProvisionUSN: 10-3274;f04ab2a7-99eb-45d9-8058-57caaaaffd8b

We recommend to review them, and if it's correct to integrate the
following ldif: /tmp/usnprov8Efldl.ldif in your sam.ldb
You can load this file like this: ldbadd -H
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb /tmp/usnprov8Efldl.ldif

Once you applied/adapted the change(s) please restart the
upgradeprovision script
galadriel:/usr/src/samba-master# /usr/local/samba/bin/ldbadd -H
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb /tmp/usnprov8Efldl.ldif
Added 1 records with 0 failures
galadriel:/usr/src/samba-master# ./bin/upgradeprovision --full
Creating a reference provision
No IPv6 address will be assigned
Unable to find group id for BIND,
                 set permissions to sam.ldb* files manually
Copy privilege
Update base samdb by searching difference with reference one
Starting update of samdb
There are 202 missing objects
Reloading a merged schema, which might trigger reindexing so please be
patient
Schema reloaded!
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./bin/upgradeprovision", line 1817, in <module>
     schema, schemareloadclosure):
   File "./bin/upgradeprovision", line 1464, in update_samdb
     schema, provisionUSNs, prereloadfunc)
   File "./bin/upgradeprovision", line 1214, in update_partition
     provisionUSNs)
   File "./bin/upgradeprovision", line 1037, in update_present
     scope=SCOPE_SUBTREE, controls=controls)
_ldb.LdbError: (34, 'could not parse
<GUID=bca6bb4c-52f6-49d2-9ead-dea7ad588bdd>;CN=Configuration,DC=lothlorien,DC=ca
in msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs on CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=GALADRIEL,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=lothlorien,DC=ca
as a 1.2.840.113556.1.4.903 DN')
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x9944a38] on
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x997c7f8] on
/usr/local/samba/private/idmap.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0xa2e6c08] on
/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0xa914970] on
/usr/local/samba/private/privilege.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0xb567830] on
/usr/local/samba/private/referenceprovisionVNj3kM/private/sam.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0xb242900] on
/usr/local/samba/private/referenceprovisionVNj3kM/private/idmap.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0xa671468] on
/usr/local/samba/private/referenceprovisionVNj3kM/private/secrets.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x9e148b0] on
/usr/local/samba/private/referenceprovisionVNj3kM/private/privilege.ldb

Is there any way for me to dump out the users/computers from my current
domain and reload them into a freshly provisioned one?
I'd rather not have to unjoin/rejoin all the computers and recreate all
the users manually and have to deal with profile problems or fudging
SIDs. I tried to dump out LDIFs with JXplorer and remerge into a freshly
provisioned server, but couldn't manage it for some reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is
any other info I can provide.
Thanks!

    -Brian Marshall