Solving: samba registry with client programs

Tue Apr 24 02:39:07 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 01:56:01PM +0200, Stef Walter wrote:
> On 04/22/2012 08:00 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Stef, would it be possible that you test how much it costs?
> > A typical [global] with possibly one or two dozen settings?
> > I would guess the overhead can not be measured.
>
> Here you go. At 24 settings changes to the global section, the
> difference before and after the patch is lost in the noise. The time in
> this test is overwhelmed by the startup time for the process, and
> initialization.
>
> I also did another test with 10000 settings changes. That one has a
> bigger difference before and after the patch. However, it's hard to
> argue though that there would be 10000 changes in the [global] section
> (which is all that's mirrored for client apps) worth changing :)

If I got the maths right, the smb.conf copy costs roughly
0.1 milliseconds. Simo, would that be acceptable for you to
implement without a parameter guarding it?

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de