What to do with the testsuite/libsmbclient/src/ libsmbclient tests?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 19 00:46:35 MDT 2012

Richard,

In the mists of time, long before the days of GIT, you added a
libsmbclient testsuite.  This is the one in testsuite/libsmbclient/src/
and will be notorious as the one that now takes up the tail end of a
Samba4 link.

commit 53a331cfb271bd64bb26d0d433439e249adbbe71
Author: Richard Sharpe <sharpe at samba.org>
Date:   Fri Mar 9 13:29:06 2001 +0000

    Bulk add of the test suite for libsmbclient ...
    (This used to be commit adef47b5173b9a028224307490960ce89762709b)

I added this to waf a few months ago, as we took an effort to try and
compile/link most of the code in Samba, to try and ensure we didn't
bitrot, and in the hope that we could then run the tests.

Did you ever have a driving script for these tests?  I've not found it,
but it may have been misplaced years ago.  Do you think we should keep
them?  As they are, they seem very repetitive and I'm just not sure how
much use they are in addition to the tests that we do actually run in
smbtorture.

Bo,

You are the only other person I've found in the logs who has contributed
to these tests.  Did you just run the one binary manually, or can you
remember how the tests were run?

Anyway, let me know if you or anyone else has any thoughts or plans for
these, as otherwise I think that 10 years of non-use and the fact that
we have other, in-use libsmbclient tests probably makes them a good
candidate for removal.

Thanks,