talloc questions - bachelor thesis

Mon Apr 16 03:18:08 MDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:17:17AM +0200, Pavel Březina wrote:
> On 04/16/2012 10:03 AM, Pavel Březina wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I'm working on a bachelor thesis which aims to provide a tutorial and
> >summary of the best practices for talloc. It is near completion and I
> >would like to ask you a few questions.
> >
> >1. When it was released for public use?
> >2. What other libraries did you consider before choosing to create your
> >own?
> >3. What did you miss in those libraries?
> >4. Which projects use it? I know about Samba, SSSD and nfsim. Are there
> >any more?
> >5. Do you have any performance tests that I can reuse?
>
> And one more that I forgot:
> 6. What are the future plans for talloc?

One thing that is missing is some thread-awareness of
talloc. As long as you use a separate talloc root object
within a thread, everything is fine. But this is not
sufficient: You can not really safely create a new talloc
root for a thread without one big lock. You also can not
move "thread ownership" of a talloc object. We will probably
not make talloc fully thread-safe in all operations, but we
need to be explicit about the rules and possibly add some
operations.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de