[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Thu Sep 29 01:27:46 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 04:53:00PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > > It's possible, but at some point, we have to move on.  I'd rather do
> > > that *before* I have to wade into the autoconf stuff again...
> >
> > I do not think that the next Samba release (whatever number it will have)
> > will be based purely on waf, most probably the fileserver part (namely
> > source3)
> > will still have an autoconf based build available and some people will
> > still use that instead of waf.
>
> We deprecate it with a big warning that it's going away, because the waf
> build is faster and generates smaller libraries and binaries.
>
> How much faster?  About 12%.
> How much smaller?  About 30%.
>
> It also does much more checking, which has found real bugs.  Sure, it's
> only marginally simpler to use (maybe because I'm not a python person?).
> It is less lines of actual build scripts, even though it builds s4 as
> well.
>
> Getting rid of the autoconf build will let us clean up include paths and
> make s3's code cleaner.  I'd be delighted to do that work in a year or
> so, but we should be laying the groundwork now.

Let me say this in very clear words:

The autoconf build is NOT deprecated for the pure Samba3
file server, nmbd and winbind build and will not be
deprecated for quite some time. Building Samba3 on a plain
stock AIX (pick your favorite platform) with any C compiler
is a definite goal of Samba3 that we will keep up for very
long.

Volker