Samba4 & MS Exchange

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 17 05:19:22 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 14:33 +0200, Thys Nel wrote:
> We currently use Samba3 on one domain and MS Exchange for email on a
> separate domain. I'm looking at Samba4, with the main goal of using Samba4
> as the main DC whilst still using Exchange for email, with the exchange
> server a member of the S4 domain.
>
> I've built S4 from the git sources and looked at upgrading our current S3
> LDAP based database to S4. Everything seems to work as advertised. For
> testing I used a standalone Win2003 machine, joined it to the test S4 domain
> (no problems).
>
> However, when I try and install Exchange 2003 it complains that it can't do
> the Forestprep. If fails with a "you do not have permission to update the
> active directory schema" message.
>
> Is it supposed to work? If so, what debug info can I provide to assist in
> this? If it is not supposed to work, is there another approach which is
> recommended? The end result I'm aiming at is having the S4 machine as the
> PDC with the Win2003 Exchange server just a member server.

We would like it to work, and a lot of work was done to support the
changes required (such as schema modification), but clearly it hasn't
been tested using the exchange installer.

As to debugging, getting a network trace
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets to see what the actual
failure in the forestprep is would be the best start I think.  It may
not actually be permissions.