samba-tool

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 15:18:37 MST 2011

On 10/03/2011 18:24, Brian C. Huffman wrote:

> On 03/09/2011 02:46 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> This is quite incorrect, and I'm sorry you have not been given the
>> advise you need, and that samba-tool is not yet as self-documenting as
>> we would desire.
>>
>> The command you are after is
>>
>> samba-tool setpassword
>>
> What's the difference between 'samba-tool setpassword' and 'samba-tool
> password set'?
>
> It seems that on my system, 'samba-tool password set' does something,
> but whatever I type does not seem to work for the new password

  ./bin/samba-tool password set simple2 -U administrator%totoTATA123 -W
MATWS
Enter new password for account [MATWS\simple2]:

I enter totoTATA333 then I check with
./bin/ldbsearch -H ldap://172.16.100.1 -U simple2%totoTATA333
That the password change has been taken into account.
> I tried: "samba-tool password set <user> -U administrator" and it
> indeed asks for the new password and the administrator password and
> appears to take both without complaining.  But the account is not able
> to login with the new password.
>
> After re-reading your email, I tried 'samba-tool setpassword' and that
> seems to work...
The thing is that setpassword didn't need an running samba server but
needs you to have a write right on the ldb files of samba4 (samba's
samdb), it can be a problem for simple users.

samba-tool password set can be used by a simple user as it use RPC to
dialogue with one DC of the domain.
Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou