util.h

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Dec 3 18:31:13 MST 2011

Hi Andrew,

Am 03/12/11 23:06, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 14:24 +0100, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>> Hello Jelmer,
>>
>> On 03/12/2011 04:57, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> In September, you renamed util.h to samba_util because the former
>>> clashes with util.h on Mac OS X
>>> (d40fe50a6755ab701f2fe8a434f1d3331769a4c0).
>>>
>>> Do you remember what the background of this was? We're installing into
>>> ${prefix}/include/samba-4.0 or /usr/local/samba/include AFAIK so we
>>> shouldn't be overwriting system headers anyway. In which way did they
>>> clash?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because I'd prefer to change the name back before we do
>>> another release - the current name is an API break, and makes
>>> OpenChange fail to build against current versions of Samba.
>> I had this bug also on my mac mini, if I recall correctly the problem is
>> that the search path for includes (-I foobar) has first the public dirs
>> path and then the samba path.
> Yes, that was the issue.  I'm pretty sure I checked with Brad about
> OpenChange, so I'm surprised that this is coming up now.
Ah, I see.

The reason it comes up now is that I'm looking at what it takes to
update the Debian/Ubuntu packaging for Samba 4 for when we do our next
release; part of that is checking whether the existing dependencies in
the Debian archive still build. OpenChange no longer does (there is a
fix in OpenChange trunk to use samba_util.h, but that makes OpenChange
trnk break when used with Samba 4 alpha17).

Simo has a point - we should add more of a namespace, to make sure we
don't run into similar problems for other header files.

For the moment, I'll ship a trivial replacement of util.h (a #warning
and a #include of samba_util.h, basically) with the samba4 debian package.

Cheers,

Jelmer