Fw: samba-tool command structure

Dave Craft wimberosa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:43:22 MDT 2011

testparm is certainly an old name and concept in samba but as a standalone
program.   The same can be said for a number of other commands
but perhaps we want to be nuanced about testparm and not categorize
it?   I'm not
sure completely why testparm would get special treatment.

Having said that....I dislike diag also.

These commands like ldapcmp, dbcheck, and testparm predominantly fall into
the category of checking some subset of the configuration for
validity.   So here's
some other high level categories to group these commands under

    config -> testparm, dbcheck, ldapcmp

seems really dumb since samba-tool is all about config anyway

    smb -> testparm
    ldap -> dbcheck, ldapcmp

debatable but I'm not super keen on using an smb category to describe testparm

    check - testparm, dbcheck, ldapcmp

probably better but still seems less descriptive because "check" can
have different
meanings for people.   currently my choice though.

     testparm
     diag       - dbcheck, ldapcmp

I guess this would be the default movement / non-movement scheme?

Seems also like dbcheck might should be called ldapcheck.

--
Regards, Dave Craft
Cut the headlights and put it in neutral.